Tuesday 1 March 2011

Love is spelt T-I-M-E

I read 2 articles recently on love and time. The first article was David Jeremiah's Feb 2011 devotional where he dedicated the month to writing on love, marriage and sex. I love the way he showed that the Bible is full of wisdom concerning how one can have a loving, grounded relationship that can stand the test of time. I'm concerned at how many relationships start on such a high note and end with such bitterness and sorrow. I don't think any relationships just end abruptly, they gradually unravel and sometimes we are too busy or nonchalant to notice until it is on its final legs.


He talked about both quality and quantity of time. We live really busy lives in this century and its so easy to lose sight of each other within it. The past few months have been difficult for us but I'm thankful to God that we have been growing stronger for it every step of the way. We made a commitment early this year after a period of not seeing each other for a few weeks never to allow work or anything else get in the way of 'us'. Due to the nature of our jobs there are busy seasons and seeing that we don't live together yet it can get crazy sometimes. But we're aware of it and we are trying. I have to give it to my sweetheart he's much better at being in touch than me. As we don't get to see each other everyday..there's rarely a day I don't get a good morning AND goodnight text with lots of messages scattered through my day. 'Thinking of u', MUL, LUL and LUAs. You would think I would get tired of them but I don't.


The second article I read was from the Marriage Gems blog; see excerpt



'I don’t often quote advice from celebrities, but sometimes the advice is just simple enough to be helpful. Actor Colin Firth, who has been married to Italian director Livia Giuggioli for 15 years, was recently quoted regarding the secret to his happy marriage. He says a happy marriage is not too hard to attain when you set aside time for each other and treat one’s marriage like a “marathon.”
“We’re very committed on a daily basis to how we deal with our family lives. But the real secret is timewe have to make sure that we spend enough time together. Every relationship in life you’re going to have to take care of, there’s a marathon factor to it,” says Firth.
He added that despite all the tempting women one may encounter, it is important to remember none of them measure up to one’s own wife.'
Spending time together - an art that is gradually being lost not only by couples but families in general. Technology has made the world a global village and yet made islands out of individuals. We tweet, FB, IM people thousands of miles away and yet we have no clue what is going on in the life of the person lying next to us in bed. So far SO has been better at creating avenues for quality time where we can rest and just share. Its my responsibility to match up to him. I'm in this for the long haul and I think there is a lot of wisdom in Colin Firth's advice. He's been married for 15 years, in Hollywood that's an achievement. It would be wise to follow as well.
Love. Learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment