Wednesday 27 October 2010

1+1=1 or 2

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Genesis 2:24

I was just pondering after a conversation with SO in addition with something I'd read somewhere on what it means to be one. I guess what I'm trying to say with the title of this post is that even in unity there is still individuality. We are 2 people who love each other, who want to be together (sorry, not all the time), who want to share life...its ups and downs, the good and bad but we are still 2 people. 2 people, 2 different people. Not better or worse just different.

I like the scripture above because I believe this is what every couple should strive for in marriage..becoming united, becoming one flesh. Not just physically but relationally and emotionally. I've heard that opposites attract but my initial attraction to SO was really based on our similarities. We have similar personalities, we are both introverts who have lots of acquaintances but very few friends. We like being at home as opposed to outside and we keep quiet when we are upset. I'm glad we have different professions. SO says two things make for a happy marriage 'Don't teach your husband/wife how to drive' and 'Keep your money separate if you know you can't handle it being together', I do agree with him. 

I'm tired now and feel I'm not making any sense but I don't like seeing couples where it seems like being in a partnership has made them lose their sense of who they are. Continue this later..

Live.love.learn

No comments:

Post a Comment