Monday 14 February 2011

The Journey: Where I am, where I want to be

One of my favourite books is Stephen Covey's '7 Habits of Highly Effective People'. I try and read it once every two years. This reminds me I need to read it this year. After my Bible, it must be one of the few books I read regularly. I love the second habit which is to begin with the end in mind. What separates humans from other animals is our imagination. We can think, we can reason, we can imagine. In my imagination, I am limitless. This second habits reminds me of the power of visualisation, to be able to see myself not as I am but as I hope to be.


So where do I see myself? In 2012? In 2020? In 2040? Time does fly. I look at my friends and how we have changed over the years. I thank God but I don't simply want to mark time on earth. I want to be better and keep getting better.


Physically, while I know I need to take better care of myself it just stops in my head. I have a science background and I know that I shouldn't do some of the things I do, eat some of the things that I eat and yet I still do it. I've always had issues with my weight. I was a big baby and I'm not sure there's ever been a time I could be considered a skinny git. I have a sweet tooth but its a bit more than that. I have a bad relationship with food. I comfort eat..its not only eating but eating the wrong things. According to my BMI, I'm overweight. I've recently been diagnosed with having polycystic ovaries (PCO) which is in itself a post on its own so I really need to be careful.


No matter how much I know I need to lose weight in my head, I rarely do anything about it. I was my heaviest sometime in 2005 when I weighed about 78kg. Actually scrap that I just got on the scale and it said 80kg! O my days! I'm really depressed right now. I've really overdone it now. This calls for drastic measures..lol! For me to get into the healthy weight zone I need to be at least 70kg. So that's my goal right now.


Goals must be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. So how do I get to where I need to be? The big goal is lose 10 kilos so I need to break it down


Specific: Lose 10kg of fat by Dec 2011
How: Reduction of calorie intake and increase in physical activity to burn those calories. 
Evaluate: Every weekend weigh in


Reduction of calorie intake; Low carb diet

  • Two meals a day. No carbs in the evening, salad and protein
  • No desserts and bread for the rest of February

Increase in physical activity
  • One hour of Just Dance on Nintendo Wii on alternate days
  • Walk for an hour on alternate days



Today is Day 1 and I have stuck to the programme but I'll see what happens at my next weigh in. I'm really down today : (


SO is going to laugh. He always says that I'm ok but I know its love talking. Apart from helping me manage my condition, a healthy weight would enable me feel much better about myself. I hope my next weigh in would make me smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment