Tuesday 27 September 2011

Day 27: Friend or Foe..

What would life be without friendship? I've been musing about my key relationships these days. I'm someone who has a lot of acquanitances but few people who I consider true friends. I've always been of the opinion that being a friend is an incredibly awesome responsibility that should not be taken lightly. Integrity is very important in any relationship and being open and honest. But what happens when you have something your friend isn't interested in hearing?

Should we still say? Or is preserving friendship the most important thing?Aren't we cheating our friends when we do not share our feelings. Are we foes for sharing the bitter truth? I am learning to ask myself questions before making to decision to say or keep quiet. 1. What is my motive; is my heart really in the right place? 2. What is the best way to communicate this feeling to my friend; is there a way I can package the message so it would be easy to receive?

I was once in a situation where I had serious concerns about a friend's relationship. I thought everything was rushed and she should be careful. But I kept quiet because I didn't want her to be upset with me. I didn't want her to feel that I didn't want her to be happy and so I said nothing. I regret that now, she ended up being married for what amounted to a few weeks. Maybe my words wouldn't have made a difference but I could have at least satisfied my heart that I had done what I knew to be right.

Friendship, such a simple word but sometimes the going so difficult.

Hmm...

Live. Learn.

1 comment:

  1. sorry about your friends marriage, but sometimes somethings are better left unsaid. Your friend wouldn't have taken whatever you had to say that time seriously....., thank you for visiting my blog most times. will sure come here again and again.

    ReplyDelete